RepliCel Life Sciences, Inc., a Vancouver-based biotechnology company developing autologous cell therapy products in aesthetics and orthopedics as well as a propriety electronic dermal injector, is seeking to employ an experienced research technician to manage and conduct research and development activities in its contract laboratory at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver General Hospital campus.
The R&D Director / Lab Manager reports to the Chief Scientific Officer and interacts with the Chief Executive Officer at RepliCel Life Sciences. The position will also involve interacting with graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, research technicians and other research laboratory members as well as other executives and representatives of RepliCel’s business partners.
- Plans and performs experiments, utilizing complex procedures or techniques; troubleshoots problems; collects, records, analyses and interprets experiment results.
- Assists other laboratory members in specimen preparation and helps them in performing aspects of various laboratory tests and protocols (e.g. immunohistochemistry, routine cell culture, quantitative PCR analysis).
- Provides training to postdoctoral fellows, technicians, and equivalent laboratory personnel in the use of equipment, techniques and procedures.
- Assists in performing, training, and validating more complex tasks, such as hair follicle tissue dissection.
- Assists in purchasing laboratory and office equipment and supplies and ensuring competitive pricing has been achieved, maintaining inventory of the laboratory’s supplies and that the laboratory stores are kept in good supply.
- Responsible for keeping the laboratory clean and ensuring equipment (except for highly specialized experimental equipment) in the laboratory is properly stored and functional. Sets up, tests, operates and maintains common laboratory and other equipment.
- Coordinates, monitors and ensures the implementation and enforcement of laboratory safety rules and procedures.
- Follows procedures for systematic retention, protection, retrieval, transfer, and disposal of both written and digital records. Reviews and answers basic laboratory correspondence. Assists with memorandums, ethics protocols, standard health and safety operating procedures and policies.
- Assists in running a laboratory, performing tasks, such as, purchasing supplies and equipment and maintaining accounts.
- Coordinates study planning, execution, and data exchange with RepliCel’s cGMP contract development and manufacturing team as well as similar colleagues in the facilities of RepliCel’s strategic partners.
- Reviews research material, conducts data processing for research/scientific papers and reports. Compiles, stores, and retrieves data using computers etc. Assists in collection and preparation of grant and contract related documentation and operating reports. Prepares and files documents with government agencies with assistance from the RepliCel team.
- Writes reports, presents research results at laboratory meetings and assists with the writing of grant applications and project reports.
- May oversee and direct the work of one or two incumbents in lower level classifications.
- Carries out any other related duties as required in keeping with the qualifications and requirements of positions in this classification.
Consequence of error
Errors in performing mechanical tests and data recording and entry harm the projects’ progress and data integrity.
Supervised by CSO and CEO, RepliCel Life Sciences.
May distribute work assignments to employees at lower classification and initiate new employees into routines, procedures and operation of equipment.
- Completion of a relevant technical program or a university degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum three years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with hair and/or skin biology research studies is advantageous, but not required as training will be provided.
- Experience in common research laboratory protocols is desirable including immunohistology, cell culture, flow cytometry, quantitative PCR, next generation sequencing, etc.
- Training for specific laboratory tests and tasks related to hair follicle and cell therapy research will be provided as needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Ability to gather, record, and organize information.
- Ability to effectively use MS Word for Windows, and MS Excel.
- Ability to work effectively and independently and in a team environment.
For further information please contact:
RepliCel Life Sciences Inc.